On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Back to the Fifties




Our Book Club visited the new Mayberry Diner near Smith Mountain Lake yesterday, in conjunction with our having read Richard Russo's Pulitzer-prize winning Empire Falls, about a fellow who runs a small diner in Maine.

The folks who opened this very authentic chrome-trimmed diner feature Mayberry-inspired menu items such as Opie's Omelet, Aunt Bea's stuffed green peppers, and other specials. Their prices are very reasonable, and service was great. I'm told they fill up regularly with the breakfast crowd, opening at 6:30 am. I've been there three times for lunch, timing my arrival for 12:45 when the lunch bunch thins out a bit. (Parking can be a bit tricky but it's OK to park on the grass.)
Their home-made soups are excellent, and I can vouch for their chicken salad sandwich, the large and fresh chef's salad, as well as a scrumptious fresh blackberry cobbler a la mode. My plan is to take Dick there for their cheeseburger (already getting rave reviews!) and a milkshake. Others ordered the onion rings (they come with the cheeseburger) and said they were wonderful.

Where to find the Mayberry Diner? Take Virginia Rt 122 (Booker T. Washington Highway) north towards Smith Mountain Lake, about 20 miles through Westlake Corners and across Hale's Ford Bridge. Just past the Moneta Library on your left, you'll see a strip of pastel-colored buildings on your right. Make a right there, on White House Road. Go just 8/10's of a mile and just past the Moneta Wastewater Treatment Plant road on your left, you will spot the big drive-in movie screen with the shiny Mayberry Diner on your left.

Yes, it can be a bit of a hike, but well worth the drive. Open seven days a week, they have drawn people from all around the area. The drive-in movies show on weekends, but will end for the winter soon. Their phone number is 540-296-1480 to find out what is playing.




5 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Lake Writers had a pretty good time, too, on Friday.

The food is scrumptious!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Bob and I went for breakfast Saturday morning...He ordered creamed chipped beef, and he wasn't happy it came on bisquits(I guess Southern thing?), and said next time he'd ask for it the way us Yankees order it, on toast.It was tasty creamed chipped beef!I had traditional eggs, bacon and grits with a bisquit. Very good, but I was coveting the next booths pancakes.Thats next time for me!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I still need to try this place one day. Who could resist Opie's Omelet?

9:28 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

Claudia, yes, biscuitsandgravy, practically one word, would translate to biscuitsandcreamedchipped beef! But I can't get used to ham biscuits (big church thing) actually being plain old rolls with a sliver of ham and no butter or mustard to speak of.
I haven't gone for breakfast there yet, but Opie's Omelet sounds great to me. I intend to try the Reuben for lunch next time. Gorgeous! And something I don't fix at home.
BTW: If you are looking for a milkshake on the menu, it isn't under Beverages but is listed as From the Sweet Bar, like a dessert.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

They had a great idea! I can't wait till the drive-in opens again.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home