On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Day and MAMA MIA!

Santa brought me the double DVD, one with the movie, the other with all sorts of background information that I found fascinating. Such fun to watch. I still cannot get over Meryl Streep, all that dancing, leaping up in the air spreading her long legs out and touching her toes! Sheesh...and she's approaching 60. How did she do that?

In one scene, she was told she'd be climbing up to the top of the goat shed. "How high could that be?" she said to herself, envisioning maybe 10-12 feet. HA! She had to clamber up a metal ladder, then another, then an even higher one, with rocky ledge below her. At one point, she was to nearly lose her balance, going backward. They tied a clothesline-type rope to a metal loop at her waist, on her front, and assured her that two men would be holding the other end of the rope, so she needn't worry.

She looked a bit nervous..."two men? Just two men? Not some kind of block or piece of equipment?" She went on to do the bit, and everything was fine, but she said later that she did things on this movie that she'd never imagined anyone would ever ask her to do.

Interesting information about how the broadway show and subsequently the movie, was written. The director (who had never directed before) took Abba songs, read the lyrics, and THEN wrote a story around the music instead of doing this the other way 'round.

Now that I've watched all the inside stuff, I need to go back and watch the movie yet again. I'm saving one part for last: the part with the lyrics on the screen. This is indeed a party in a box!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home