On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, May 10, 2008

GreatAunt Cathie to report in

This morning when I called her, my daughter was in the middle of baking and frosting gingerbread stars and teddy bears to take down to new momma Cassie, who is home now with baby Chloe Louise Nightingale. Auntie Anna (16) wasn't going with Mom; she has a bad cold not to be shared with a new baby.

Cathie said she had new batteries for her camera and would take lots of pictures to send to me. I'm waiting, I'm waiting!
******
A serendipitous story: like a snowball gathering speed as it rolls down a hill, the simple act of my picking up Sarah's Key at my local library and reading it continues to bring about more results. From the Book Club to the Ferrum College class on the Holocaust, to the visit to the Holocaust Museum in DC, it continues to gather speed. Now, plans are being made to offer the class right here in the small town of Rocky Mount, bringing the 10 professors here to a new educational facility just built behind the library, offering the class to local teachers and beginning it at 4:30 on one evening a week, 2.5 hours. What an exciting opportunity for this community. I've told several of the church ladies I spoke before last Monday and they are ready to sign up as soon as the proposal is put together.

Since the class, at nearly $2,000 a session, is offered without cost to seniors over age 65, we have an enthusiastic potential student group. No exams, no papers, and a group who actually lived through the years of WW II and who, like me, never really learned the complete history of the Holocaust. From the simple act of reaching out and picking up that book comes the embodiment of Dr. Marcia Horn's dictum: REMEMBER

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

What a great inspiration you are to so many others! This is fantastic news!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Oh how wonderful! I hope you'll write a memoir about all of this. I find it fascinating.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home