On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, March 24, 2008

Update on Mike

I had a nice long phone conversation with son Mike this evening. He emphatically assured me that he will be in a safe zone in Iraq, that if anything, he's been told he'll be bored. Bored is OK with this Mom.

He'll be sitting at a desk; any flying he does will be with the AF or the Army flying him to another Base as he oversees fourteen employees tasked with delivering parts for planes when there is urgent need. Even though he is a well-qualified Army helicopter pilot, he will not be flying a chopper at all.

He's signing a one-year contract, but it can be broken at will if he decides he needs to be home with his family instead of sitting at a desk at a Base in Iraq. He tells me he is more worried about his wife coping with two energetic young sons for that year, than he is about his own situation. Fortunately, she has family close by and they are indeed a strong support system for her.

For my friends who have met my son, you know as I do that he is bright and reliable and not a person who would take risks when his family would suffer. He had the 'opportunity' to serve in Iraq when he was active Army, but he chose not to put his family on the line. This position was offered to him by a fellow who has known him, and worked with him, for years. A good friend.

Thanks for all the kind messages since I learned about this possibility. Keep Mike in your prayers...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

I feel better already - especially about the part where he has an option of coming home if he wants to. I know you are relieved as well.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I am glad and relieved to read this! Thanks for keeping us updated!!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home