On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Too Soon Old, Too Late Schmart

That used to be one of my Dad's favorite comments, often turned upon himself. He probably heard it from a Vaudeville team, as he loved those comics. But today, I apply it to myself.

Here's the background. About 3 or 4 years ago, when my stepson was bringing his family of boys to visit on Thanksgiving, my husband rushed over to Best Buy and bought the largest flat-screen TV he could afford. It's so big you could sit in the garage and watch from there. He's since updated the set to receive HD transmission.

Not generally a big sports fan, I knew he'd wanted to impress his son, who is definitely into sports. The testosterone folks watched it for hours.

Since then, I've enjoyed movies on the set (when I can wrestle away the remote control or when Hubby has barbershop practice or some such commitment.) Well, I began to notice that movies that I was completely certain I had already seen, were somehow new to me, that scenes I'd hardly noticed were now crisp and clear and relevant. Early this morning, I watched an old Tom Hanks movie, Nothing in Common I believe was the name of it. Hanks was a delight, thick curly hair, very young, very funny. His old salesman father was played by an aging comedian. I knew some of the scenes, but began to wonder if senility was setting in to account for parts I hadn't recalled. Then...BINGO!...I figured it out.

The large flat screen, where people are nearly life-sized, was drawing me in to an extent that the smaller TVs just do not accomplish. Much like surrendering to a movie theater screen, I'd become part of the movie (Woody Allen did this in one of his films). Whew! I feel much better now. It isn't that I've forgotten parts of a movie but that I'd not actually noticed these scenes.

No wonder I always want to watch Grey's Anatomy on the big screen; a life-size Patrick Dempsey is not to be ignored...

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

So... when are you inviting me over for a little Dempsey on the big screen? Ah - just kidding!

I do not have the HD big screen TV yet, but hope to by the time they make it mandatory. I have seen it in action and it IS impressive.

BTW: The aging comedian in Nothing in Common is Jackie Gleason - classic! Great movie!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Amen to that! Do you ever watch the Lifetime series, Army Wives? I have to ti-vo it because it comes on at 10pm on Sunday nights...past my bedtime. The drama is really good, and the script is well written. They are playing last years episodes right now, and the new season will begin in either May or June. Even my hubby enjoys it!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

I blanked on Gleason's name, then recalled it later. What's eerie is that the character very much resembles (not in looks, in actions) my exhusband, who is now a major trial to my son Mike.

Ah, yes, Dempsey on the big screen...did you know the DVD of Enchanted came out yesterday? Ya know, for your KIDS...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Yes, this is on Kurt's list. One of the testosterone folks!

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home