On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Frightening News for a Mom

I knew this was a possibility, but had been pushing it out of my mind. My son Mike, a retired Army colonel who flies helicopters, has decided to take a contractor position flying in Iraq. He insists it is very safe, that he's talked to the three men preceding him in this position (whom he knows well) and they assure him it's fine.

Mike moved his family to Montana from California so his wife could care for her very ill Mom until she died. They put their CA home up for sale just as the housing crunch hit hard, leaving him with two mortgages to pay. This position in Iraq pays so well he will be able to pull through until the economy eases up.

But he'll be away for a year. And my heart drops. I lost my oldest son in 2002; I cannot lose Mike as well. He's scheduled to leave for Iraq around my birthday, early in May. As I'm writing this, I'm just numb. Yes, he'll be flying base to base. He assures me he won't be out of the safe zone. He has two young sons.

That's all I can think about right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Oh, Marion, my heart goes out to you. I can imagine how apprehensive you must be feeling for your son. It does seem like a very good sign that the previous three people in the position apparently had no problems, but I know, right now, that must seem like small comfort. Please know that I will keep you, your son, and his family in my prayers.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Blue Ridge Collar Girl said it all. I couldn't agree with her more!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

He'll be okay Marion. I will say a prayer. Don't worry.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Pathfinder said...

Marion, may your son be safe wherever he is. Here is the first stanza from a hymn by Mary Baker Eddy that I find helpful and inspiring whenever I have fears for my son, or anyone. It is called "Mother's Evening Prayer":

"O gentle presence, peace and joy and power;/ O Life divine, that owns each waiting hour,/ Thou Love that guards the nestling's faltering flight!/ Keep Thou my child on upward wing tonight."
from Hymn 207-212

11:11 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

My sister is paying two mortgages now as well...I feel for him. Marion, we will just shower him with our prayers, and ask God to keep him safe. God is just as protective in Iraq, as he is in Montana. Let me know when he leaves so I can be praying for him!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home