On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

More Thoughts about the gunman at Ferrum College

I'm wondering if the housekeeper having seen the man with the gun, who told her not to say anything, might have kept him from whatever he had been planning. That, and the immediate response of our law enforcement people, sirens screaming, may have sent him off campus. If so, he may be still hovering...or perhaps making a different decision altogether.

Word is Ferrum decided to begin their spring break now, not returning to classes until the week of 10 March. That sounds like a wise decision to me; the students must be completely traumatized. It would be good for them to be safe and sound in their homes for two weeks, to come down from this near-happening.

I've also heard that there's a pretty good chance this fellow is known on campus. If he is a student at Ferrum, someone will recognize him.

Still shaken. This IS a little too close to home. I alerted my grown kids as it did get on the national news according to my sister-in-law, who immediately remembered I was taking the Holocaust class at Ferrum and was quite worried.

2 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

My computer professor and I were discussing a proposed plan that a faculty member at Hollins suggested. This person desires to have a test run of our new system, without letting anyone know that it is just a drill. I am very much against that. You never know how people are going to react in an emergency like that...heart attack, panic attack, etc... I think those of us that are from this area have already had "the drill"
I'm glad that you and everyone else at Ferrum is all right!!!

5:18 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

Was she able to describe what he looked like, I wonder? It does seem to be looming.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home