On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Monday, September 17, 2007

E-mail from Alyson Hagy

I e-mailed Alyson Hagy, author of Snow, Ashes with my lingering question regarding her very graphic descriptions of bodily fluids in her book. Some of us were actually unable to finish the book. I hadn't wanted to bring that up during the conference call, but then I discovered others had the same question.

Here's her reply:



Marion,

Another great question!

I think the answer has two parts to it. First, I grew up on a farm...around lots of animals and a father who hunted. We saw a lot of "bodily fluids." I don't think it's a surprise that both my brothers are surgeons. Nothing fazes them. Second, I think ranching/ farming people...and soldiers...maintain a very high sense of physical awareness. Outdoor work is work that depends upon--and sometimes hurts--the body. I was struck by how much the Korean memoirs I read mentioned the cold, the ruined bowel function, the stink, the blood, the everything...not to mention the lice, fleas, and rats. I guess I was trying to be true to how Adams would experience the world. But that may well mean that the book is too yucky...maybe even to intense or profane...for many readers. Writing fiction always raises this question for me: What is true for a character v. what can a reader bear? Since readers come in all shapes and sizes, I just try to draw the line in the best place and hope I don't drive away too many people.

I really enjoyed my time with the book club. You all are a strong group.

Alyson

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Bodily fluids would not bother me at all. I've cleaned some nasty bodily fluids in real life, in a nursing home and dog pounds. I'll tell you what did bother me--the scene in "Zippy" where the neighbor nailed the bunnies up on the barn by their ears and chopped their heads off. But it was good, because it was real. I'm loving that book Marion.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

What a great answer! Farm living does harden you to some realities.

As a kid, I was pretty squeamish. Now I can change bandages on a horse's torn-up foot (Thank goodness for duct tape and disposable diapers!) or perform first aid on a husband's chain saw injury (Thank goodness for Vet Wrap and certain feminine hygiene products!) without being grossed out.

The time the dog barfed up a possum she'd eaten was probably the grossest thing I've seen in the last decade. First time I ever used a shovel to clean a floor.

Ah, farm life! You never know what you'll see next!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Very nice AND flattering! I am not surprised by her answer and fondness for you and the group!

Thanks for sharing!!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home