On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sadie Mae's Adventure

Whew, when they say Yorkies tend to bolt, they mean it! I got home from the store and was bringing in groceries yesterday when Sadie Mae did her great leap outdoors, joy on her little face at being free without a leash. Off she bounced into the woods. Dick wasn't home (she OBEYS him, doncha know). I put the groceries on the counter & took off after her.

She circled around to the driveway...ah, yes!...bounding like she had springs on her four little feet. Every time I got near her (Winchester, our 9-year old choc Lab, came with me. Sometimes, he is able to drive her home...but not this time)...she'd look over her furry little shoulder at me, with those big black eyes, and race away. Back & forth, until she reached the top of the driveway and disappeared. When I panted up to the top, calling her & whistling, she was nowhere in sight.

Did she go down the old road to the river? Or down the steep graveled driveway to our neighbors' house? Or to the right towards the mailbox? Then I heard a slight rustle of dried leaves...she was partway down the neighbors' very steep driveway. Down we went, Winchester and I. Finally, at the bottom, she stopped to sniff around and I GOT her. Carrying her back up was a chore. She's only 6 pounds, but I felt like I'd already gone 6 MILES by then. Carried her home, her tongue lolling out of her grinning mouth.

As I was putting the groceries away, Dick came home, took one look at me and asked if I was OK. I told him it was definitely time for me to go over the "COME" training I'd dropped when Sadie began to go the other direction. And it's time to make it stick. If that is possible with a Yorkie mix!

Apparently, Sadie has also learned to type, as she wrote a letter to Ida B. Peevish...hmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home