On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Beautiful weather!

Wow, what good things have we done to deserve such gawjus weather? We actually have to put the windows of the sunroom down, using the screens, to cool it off some. Lovely! Supposed to rain tomorrow, Thursday, but that's OK. Bulbs are sending up their green, green leaves. Puppies are full of energy. Husband's eyes are twinkling...and it isn't even March yet, although by tomorrow, it will be.

Let's see...in like a lion, out like a lamb?

Sadie Mae had a bit of an incident. I don't think I blogged this, although I may have. I heard her beside me, going lap...lap...lap. Looked down, and she had tipped over a plastic bottle of mineral oil that I use to clean up around her eyes, gotten the TOP off, & was having a fine old time. Thank heavens she is housebroken now, because that is one good laxative. I immediately dumped a box of baking soda on the carpet, then another. And another. Vacuumed up the goop (next I'll have to take the vac apart & clean all the filters, I know that) over & over again.

When I next saw the ad on TV for those Zorbeez, special cloths that are supposed to absorb any kind of spill, I went ahead & ordered them. It'll take a month or more for them to arrive, but I think I may need those babies. I keep remembering when my kids were small....Andy in particular managed to decorate the space under his high chair with more food and milk than it seemed possible. Of course, I had my kids before such inventions as sippy cups!

Heck, I had my kids before they had disposable diapers! My Mom gave me diaper service for each of my three children after she saw how little help I got from their Dad. Now, diaper service was wonderful. I'd drop a little underwear shirt into the bin "accidentally" and would get a little printed note from the laundry service reminding me NOT to do that. They got them SO white and clean.

Now, my kids have kids that are having babies, at least in one case so far. And Moms today get a "girls' night out"--HUH, that sounds like fun, with Dad babysitting. Nothing like Britney Spears, though. I think she's having a mental breakdown in public. Between her shenigans and all the mess about that Anna Nicole Smith, TV "news" is just bilious.

This morning, though, on Good Morning America, there was a beautiful, emotional welcoming for Bob Woodruff. Brought me to tears. Then they had a nice story about the fellow who was in prison, got assigned to the kitchen, fell in love with COOKING and now is a respected chef. Too bad we can't assign Paris Hilton to some kitchen somewhere. There's a useless celebrity. She charges millions just to go to a party so the media will cover it.

My mother worked, teaching herself to type so she could issue drivers' licenses for the DC government, riding to work with my Dad, who inspected bridges for them. My maternal grandmother worked in the same building, as a switchboard operator. She didn't have to work but grandaddy traveled all over for the railroad, and she decided to work in order to have a cleaning lady! Besides, she loved being around people. HER mother worked as a seamstress for well-to-do families in Virginia and DC, employing as many as 10 young women to do the actual stitching of wedding dresses and trousseaus. Not one of these women would understand a Paris Hilton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home