On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Rocky Mount Writers' Club forms

Becky Mushko, Heather Froeschl and I got together to form a Writers' Club in Rocky Mount, to meet at the Franklin County Library immediately prior to the new Eclectic Readers Book Club run by Bonnie Johnson.

Our first meeting took place from 11-noon on the second Wednesday of March (the 14th) and we drew a very interesting group. From poetry to short stories to longer fiction, we found there were writers looking for a day-time group. Even though the notice did not get into the News-Post until the day of the meeting, word got out.

We agreed to continue meeting on the 2nd Wednesday of each month for one hour, to share news about contests and to read and gently critique.

As for the Eclectic Readers Book Club, we watched an hour-long DVD provided to us by Adriana Trigiani in which she discussed her Big Stone Gap books, the characters, and her motivations for her storyline. It was a fascinating DVD, and is now at the FCL on loan, so everyone can take it home to show friends and family. We had read her Home to Big Stone Gap prior to the meeting; now several of us will go back and read any of the series we might have missed with a new understanding of the plot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Oh Marion! I am so jealous that you have a friend in Adriana Trigiani. I have emailed her a couple of times and have been surprised and grateful in her return emails. I will definetly check her DVD out from the FCL. I read Big Stone Gap when I moved here and considered it my guide to Virginia. Having fell in love with the whole town of characters, but especially the MacChesney Family, I had to read Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon, and Home to Big Stone Gap. After unpacking for a month and a half, I picked each book up and read all three in a week.
By the way, you write very well. The blogs are very easy on the eyes and the people and animals mentioned are felt, not just described.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home