On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Interesting book I'm reading, Homer & Langley

I was 10 years old when the story broke in the papers about the Collyer brothers; you have to be a certain age to remember all the commotion and conjecture!

The brothers lived in a tall Victorian house in what was then a very nice part of New York. Their parents died, and the 'boys' inherited the house. Homer became blind, and Langley kept trying to 'heal' his blindness with diet and other strange things.

Langley decided he would publish ONE newspaper that would cover everything in the world, so he began collecting papers until they were stacked to the ceiling and only small tunnels existed for them to get around. Then Langley began collecting anything and everything. When the house was cleared out, they found a Model T Ford in the upstairs dining room! Langley had taken it apart, brought it into the house piece by piece, and rebuilt it.

The book is written as a novel by E.L. Doctorow and is getting rave reviews. Check it out on Amazon if you're interested; I paid about $10 for used (only it was brand new).

I love it when I find a book I can't put down...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home