On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Busy, Busy Times

Monday evening, we attended a Marine Corps birthday party that was great fun. Some of the organizers were barbershop singers, and they invited other former Marines. Dick was a helicopter door-gunner during two tours in VietNam, so he was one of their heroes. He also has a Purple Heart from that time, so he is one of MY heroes as well.

The party was held at a new Lake restaurant, and it took us a phone call or two to find it. Listed as "downtown Moneta" it is in fact part of a row of pastel-colored buildings that are being called Downtown Moneta when in actuality they are just several hundred yards off Rt 122 near the Moneta/Smith Mountain Lake branch of the Bedford Library. Actually off White House Road, it appears Casa D'Amici is part of a unique-looking strip mall.

Inside, the dramatic first impression is maintained by a very high wall of pegs to the ceiling, holding a huge collection of wine bottles. Behind that wall, there is another wall of granite with water cascading down. We were at first placed in a separate room but as others arrived, we had to move out into the Waterfall room.

Several of the former Marines brought along photo albums, gear (including knives and even a sword or bayonet, insignia, and name plates) but the conversation was very general and informal. Since most were singers, they sang the Marine Corps song and were applauded by others at the restaurant.

It was a delightful evening, and plans are to have an annual get-together. The restaurant features Italian food, and the offerings were quite good and very reasonable in price. I realize this group of men organized the event, but I hope to impress the guy I'm married to that I'd like to see them add a component...say, each couple bringing along a sack of nonperishable food items to donate to the closest food kitchen. I'd feel less guilty about sipping a glass of Pinot Grigio along with my pasta, beside a wall of water, if I knew we were also contributing towards those in need.

I read today about a couple in California who decided to try to live on a food budget of one dollar a day, for one month. That essentially eliminated any fresh vegetables or fruits, as well as any meats. Life became breakfast oatmeal, or pancakes without syrup, homebaked bread or tortillas, refried beans, homemade macaroni and cheese. Not a very healthy diet, and they were both working long hours, so having to make everything from scratch meant they often ate quite late at night.

How many of us could live on one dollar a day for food? As a single Mom of three back in the day, in California, I recall one of my proudest moments was learning to toast bread slices folded into a muffin tin, then filling them with a cream sauce made with one thawed package of fish and a thawed package of peas and carrots. My kids loved it, and I had other dishes they liked, such as hamburger in a cream sauce spooned over baked potatoes. Of course, we also ate plenty of those little frozen potpies along with a salad.

Sorry, I digress! From elegant restaurant to budget-saving foods. Quite a leap.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Funny you should mention this place. I've not eaten there yet, but have indulged in the Downtown Pizzeria in the same strip. This little Italian restaurant is owned by the Smith family who also own Freckles Ice Cream and Hawks Country Store (right there). The family have also owned Fallons for the past four years. I'm glad you enjoyed Casa. I plan to dine there someday, very soon.

I've been busy too - good busy, I mean.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening, Marion!

I'm pretty good at feeding my family on a budget, but I know I couldn't do it on a dollar a day. My children love milk and that alone costs far more than a dollar. (And they hate dried skim milk and I don't blame them). But I've always liked those little pot pies! And Tuna Helper is one of my son's favorite meals. The Creamy Roasted Garlic flavor is really tasty.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home