On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman died...

It's the end of an era. How many of us were influenced by his many movies? By his charitable works? By his insistence on privacy in a very public business? He was 83, and of course it was cancer. Early reports don't identify it as lung cancer, but I suspect that was the culprit.

He died at his home in Connecticut, yesterday (Friday). By all accounts, his long marriage to Joanne Woodward was a good one, although both said there were harsh words at times, and he would retreat to "his part of the house" until everything cooled down. How normal is that?

We'll miss him. I last saw him in Empire Falls, playing the role of Ed Harris' scalawag of a father to perfection. I'd read that he loved the role, so entirely different from any kind of heroic do-gooder. He also played in Richard Russo's Nobody's Fool.

Our Book Club is getting ready to read Russo's Empire Falls; Russo won the Pulitzer Prize for writing that book. No wonder Paul Newman was eager to play those parts...the dialog and characterizations were perfect for him.

I'm sure TV will be playing all Newman's movies now and we can again enjoy Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the rest of his amazing roles.

Off the screen, he quietly changed lives with his "Hole in the Wall" kids' camps around the world, using his profits from salad dressings and pasta sauce to establish the camps for disabled children. OK, y'all know all of this already. I'm sure there's a lot we don't know about this private person.

6 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Was he in On Golden Pond? I can't remember.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

No, he wasn't in that movie. But he made so many good movies over the years; you've probably by now seen TV news programs (and Larry King live) who carried parts of interviews with Newman. I'm sure we'll be seeing his movies now all over TV.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

My hubby is waiting on the edge of his seat for "Cool Hand Luke" to hit the tube.

Newman will be missed by all.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read about this last week, so sad - but he had a good and full life and he left a wonderful legacy.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

That broke my heart. That's one that I will always remember where I was when I heard like when I heard about Lucille Ball and John Lennon. He was a beautiful man inside and out.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

10:37 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

I have total respect for both he and is wife. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around death. It just seems to impossible and implausible.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home