On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Barack Obama won!

I knew history would be made if either presidential candidate won, but was so hopeful that Obama would win, and of course he did. After 25 or more years voting Republican, neither of us could stomach where the R's were taking us (follow the yellow brick road).

Now, we have a family going into the White House that can inspire other families whose male parent doesn't exactly know how to relate to his children. And his children can aspire to be president some day. It's a whole new world.

Only in America could a bi-racial man walk strong through malicious rumors and fraudulant attacks to achieve this highest honor. I did not think I would see this in my lifetime. I remember the drugstore 'sit-ins' during my DC childhood, I recall trying to give my seat on a bus up to an elderly black woman in SC, an act which frightened her terribly as she scrambled towards the back of the bus to grasp a rail and shake as she stood there, afraid of the bus driver's reaction should she have accepted my offer. I was only 10 years old, and hadn't learned there were different laws for blacks and whites, different water fountains, different bathrooms, hotels and motels and restaurants that refused service to anyone whose skin was not lily-white.

That isn't right, I railed at the age of 10. Now, all these years later, Obama smiles softly as his two proud daughters grin up at their dad, and the family walks forward to be greeted by thousands and thousands of cheering people in Chicago.

I'm so proud of my country.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

And the racial barriers that have been taken down are just the icing on the cake. I only hope that those opposing our new President and his administration consider this country as a whole. Not black or white and certainly not rich or poor.

It is again, the land of opportunity.

3:10 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

I'm proud of you too for knowing when to jump a sinking ship. I hope Obama does appoint some Republicans and creates an opening to some real bipartisanship.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

Colleen, Bush lost me when he chose not to fly to Louisiana when Katrina hit there. He was in Texas on vacation, for crying out loud, and later tried to justify his not going by saying AF One flew OVER the area when he went back to DC from Texas.
That did it. People were dying, and they were mostly poor black people. Had it been southern California, would he have paid attention? My husband went on several church mission trips to rebuild homes there, and the devastation, along with our government's unresponsiveness, was illuminating.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

It was an amazing night, wasn't it? I had tears rolling down my face during Obama's speech. I actually even teared up a bit during McCain's concession speech. It was far more gracious and charitable than I had expected.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Long and Foster said...

Well said. And I agree with Blue Ridge too, McCain surpirsed a lot of people.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home