On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, April 19, 2008

May 3rd is the 4th Annual Gardening in the Nude Day!

No, I didn't make that up. It was in the Roanoke Times this morning, so of course it must be true.

Who in the world thought this one up? May 3rd happens to be my birthday, and it is a fairly significant birthday at that. Not only that, I have more than a few pounds to lose before I'll even stand before my bedroom mirror starkers!

Meanwhile, you may already know that I married a country boy. If anyone would garden in the nude, my guy would. But I don't think I'll tell him about May 3rd. What kind of birthday present would that be?

Oh, imagine the sunburn on places no one would ever wish to have sunburn.

One time, when we living up in northern Maine, I was on the kitchen phone on a Saturday morning talking to a GF when Hubby came out of the shower. He needed clean underwear, which was outside on the clothesline, and he proceeded to walk right past me, no towel, no nothing, out the back door, across the deck, and down the stairs to the clothesline where he leisurely took down a tee-shirt and some knit boxer shorts. My chin was still on the floor when he came back into the kitchen, grinning as he heard me express my shock on the phone.

After all, we lived on the road to the state park, and he could have had quite an audience. With cameras.

He hasn't really changed all that much. If the dogs start barking, he'll run outdoors to shut them up. He might or might not be clothed. One of these days, the UPS gal will have another sight to write about on her notepad.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

My husband doesn't love livin' in Florida for nothin'. We lived just ten miles away from a nudist colony when living near Orlando. My husband might take up gardening if he knew about this special holiday. Of course, he would have to begin reading the paper before this knowledge presented itself.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

Amy, one of my fave Hemingway stories was about his wife's dismay that he insisted upon wandering around their island property in the nude. She kept asking him to at least put on some walking shorts.
Well, they had many cats, and one day, a cat decided to attack certain dangling bits...Hemingway began wearing shorts.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Oh that is hilarious! I've never heard of that before. What is it about country boys that they feel compelled to do this? I haven't read that particular Hemingway story...I'll add it to my pile.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

That's so funny, Marion! (And I love the Hemingway story.) A friend of mine loved swimming in her pool in her birthday suit. One day, the UPS man drove up unexpectedly while she was swimming. Since the pool was next to the driveway, there wasn't much she could do but dive as deep underwater as possible and be glad that she didn't have to sign for the package.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

It's not country boys. It's boys in general. When we lived in Oklahoma, we had 110 acres. The next door neighbor had 1200. So you can imagine we were in the middle of nowhere. Kurt talked me into going outside in the buff. It felt so weird. It felt so free. We started running around the yard hooting and hollering, things bouncing that you don't want to see bouncing and whatnot. It wasn't a pretty picture. But it was so much fun we would have peed our pants if we had any on!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home