On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Online Chat with Tatiana de Rosnay

Despite some technical difficulties, I managed to join an international online book club chat with Tatiana this afternoon. I'd resigned myself to merely being able to read others' comments and her responses, when the opportunity presented itself to join in.

Tatiana even referenced information from my blog, regarding our book club reading of her book, Sarah's Key, and how my reading her book brought me into Dr. Marcia Horn's Ferrum College Holocaust class. Dr. Horn was planning to attend the online chat, but either she was unable to find the doorway into something called BabblingBooks, or she had a problem with the time changes.

I believe the chat will remain online; the Administrator had to start up a second set of postings that went on for 10 pages. Tatiana at one juncture was bounced off-line and had to quickly devise another Password to get back into the Forum.

This was set up for 7 pm UK time (even though I believe Tatiana was in Paris) and first the US and then the UK switched...on different dates, of course...to DST or SummerTime as the UK calls the change of time. With the 5-hour time difference, that meant today's chat was at 2 pm EST. And that's as much math as I find myself capable of.

Attendees were from everywhere, and they expressed astonishment about not ever having heard of the Vel d'Hiv roundup in Paris. Several recommended SK be made part of their school reading requirement, saying young people absolutely need to know about this.

Such an interesting discussion, although I do feel I probably contributed too much. When I start into talking about the Holocaust, I tend to keep right on going. I'll look for the URL to post here, for BabblingBooks...

http://www.babblingbooks.org.uk/

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yansor said...

Marion, I'm so glad you made it.I think it was a very interesting discussion. Thank you for taking the time !
TR

5:47 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Oh how wonderful! I've participated in an online chat with authors associated with the Institute of Children's Literature, but I've never been apart of an international one. How interesting!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

You are responsible for connecting so many great people!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home