On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day a day late and other things

Hubby sang with his barbershop quartet all day yesterday, Valentine's Day. They had eleven sing-outs in Lynchburg, driving from workplace to homes to nursing homes so they could serenade someone with three love songs, present her (usually it is a woman) with a long-stemmed red rose, and a Polaroid picture of the event. The 12th sing-out, for a dear sweet lady from our church who just celebrated her 67th wedding anniversary, didn't actually happen as her husband was very ill there at home, so the four gentlemen in their black tux pants, shiny black shoes, red vests over white long-sleeved shirts, each gave her a big hug and a lovely rose.

She is a major fan of my husband's voice and has actually gotten him to promise that he will sing at her funeral when the time comes! He was startled when she asked this 3 or 4 years back, but of course he agreed.

As for my own Valentine's day, I received a big stuffed teddy bear, a tiny box of 3 chocolates, my very own long-stemmed red rose, a singing card, and a bottle of sparkling wine. So tonight, I fixed two filets mignon with mushrooms and onions, baked potato, & asparagus, uncorked the wine and tucked in. Nice~

Sunday, the Lake Playreaders will read my play. I got a delightful write-up in The Eagle and all 50 seats will be filled. Now I'll hope for lots of laughter...

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

As I have said before, your husband is a real prince!

I am looking forward to seeing your play in action on Sunday. I will bring the laughter...

9:21 AM  
Blogger colleen said...

Joe fixed the vacuum cleaner for me and left it in the middle of the kitchen floor so I would see it when I woke up (and oh yeah roses).

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home