On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Holocaust Class

I have to journal for my class, and do some more reading. But I'm finding the content making me so much more aware of what is going on in the world today.

Those of us in the class are horrified at the atrocities committed against the Jews, the Gypsies (Roma), the disabled, anyone the Germans, under Hitler, wanted eliminated forever.

Today, I read about two Down syndrome women in Irag, who were wrapped with explosives and sent into two big marketplaces on a warm, sunny day, a day when families with small children, wives, husbands, aunts, uncles, grandparents were enjoying an afternoon out, perhaps buying produce to take home for supper. The terrorists set the human bombs off with remote controls. Hundreds of people were killed, just random evil, just unconscionable. They were blown to bits.

That this much hate can exist in the world is frightening indeed. I have grown children, I have grandchildren. I have one greatgrandchild. We could be peacefully walking in a sunny outdoor marketplace and end up as some kind of impossible symbol of hate.

Darfur, ethnic cleansing, all of this means so much more to me in the context of Holocaust studies. I feel as if my blinders have been removed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I had the same experience in Ethic Class. I also had to journal in that class. I felt the world was a different place all of a sudden. Where had I been all this time?

8:01 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

Such a hard subject to study but one we must know.

I got some ice shots, even with big drops of melting ice falling on my camera.

Feel free to share the Jesus poem. I think he's a lefty and afraid of heights.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I read that about the Down syndrome women. Unbelievable the sick evil people in the world.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home