On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

How to Surprise Your Obtuse Spouse~






Well, finally was able to access my Blog again. And I did figure out how to turn off the flash on my new camera. But tonight's Blog is about being surprised~

Today was Old Faht's Day at Kroger, when they give us 5% off along with free coffee and donuts (or cookies or whatever the bakery has leftover) so Dick and I met up with Becky and John Mushko for a chat, a book loan of Sarah's Key to Becky, and hot coffee. We grabbed our buggies and wheeled around the store. Sadie Mae was outside in the PT, so we didn't take very long.

Got home, read the Roanoke Times, ate lunch, took my power nap. Getting up around 6:30 every morning sends me for my hour's rest.

After lunch, vacuumed (isn't this boring?) then checked my e-mail, read blogs, started the blackeyed peas and rice to go along with some huge shrimp Dick had bought to steam and spice, along with a nice wine.
Back to the computer. That's when I noticed a long white string hanging down from the very top of my desk. What's that? I looked up. There sat a beautiful white-on-white pitcher of pale pink lilies that I'd noticed in Kroger's cooler case this morning. There was a card with it...Happy New Year from Dick.

I ran out to find him and ask him how in the world he'd accomplished the surprise! Seems he'd waited until I was over in the dairy department, then he'd rushed to the flowers, selected the pitcher vase and paid for it there, then spirited it out to the trunk of the PT. He then helped me finish shopping and unloaded the buggie while I comforted a very happy-to-see-us Sadie Mae. He left the flowers in a box in the car, then brought them in while I slept. He put them up on the shelf here in my office. Where I did not see them. And did not see them. And still did not see them.

Finally, he thought of the string. Which I ultimately DID see!

I love surprises, and the pitcher vase was the prettiest I'd ever seen. Not one to buy myself pretty things, I'd admired it, mentioned it to Dick, and just moved right on by, never suspecting he would buy it for me.

You see, I married a man from New England, and they're not very impulsive, gift-giving fellows.

I'll try now to add a picture of the bouquet and pitcher ...let's see if I can do this. OK, now let's try the tree! Well, that was the picture I took during the daytime; whatever happened to the other one? Guess I'd better get that camera out again. Sorry, folks, I'm still learning here~

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Again, I say... Dick is a prince charming hiding in regular guy clothes. Happy New Year!

11:30 AM  
Blogger colleen said...

Lovely! And you're going to have fun with that camera.

11:11 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

I think that is very special! Enjoy your camera - digital is fantastic.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home