On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas was sweet~

How nice to have a quiet Christmas this year. Dick had an awful cold, only now winding down, and he generously passed it on to me, although it was much less debilitating. Since we've been having cold rainy weather--and we do need the rain--we both pretty much stayed indoors and let Santa do all the work.

Yes, I did get my new digital camera! It's a Canon PowerShot A560 (whatever that means) and has more dials and controls than could be imagined. There are 3 separate books of directions (besides the 3 in Spanish, which I tossed). One book is the brief "introduction to the camera." Then there's a more detailed instruction book. And finally, a thick book of advanced directions! ARGHHHHH

Yes, I did take some pictures, of Dick beside our tree wearing the Auburn, Alabama orange tee-shirt and cap his son sent to him. Tomorrow, I'll see if one of those 3 books can show me how to take a picture of our tree without a flash, as it is one of the prettiest (fake!) trees, already lighted, ever.

When we lived in northern Maine those 19 years, we'd cut our own tree, haul it home, and set it up right outside our sliding glass doors onto the covered front porch of our log home. It was sheltered from the heaviest snow falls, but was always dusted with snow that blew over the porch. We'd see tourists stop and take pictures of our house on the side of a small mountain, and we'd always drive over to the other side of Echo Lake to look at the full effect of the colorful lighted tree.

Now, though, with just the two of us, we've opted for the fake already lighted tree, set up in the front room's bay window. Dick put a string of twinkling colored lights all the way up our quarter-mile driveway, and I'll miss them when we take them down at the new year. That's the Royal "we" since I tend to point at the lights as he climbs the ladder to take them down~

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your tree sounds lovely! I've also been playing with taking shots of my tree with the flash off - it helps to have a tripod to work with - unless you want some artistic blurry shots! I've actually had lots of fun in the ditital darkroom with my blurry shots :-)
I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

2:42 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

There may be nothing more depressing than the taking down of Christmas lights. It's just the complete opposite of how I feel putting them up. How can that be?

Happy New Year to you and Dick!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You can always leave the lights up Marion and become a real redneck! Kurt says he's leaving ours up on the barn because they look so nice! He said it'll be kind of like we're camping--you know how some campsites have colored lights strung around. Ha ha.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Marion, sorry to hear you've both been sick, but glad you had such a nice Christmas. I'm happy Santa brought you a Canon PowerShot. I have a PowerShot and love it. It's so easy to use. I can't wait to see the picture of your tree. By the way, if yours is anything like mine, you can turn off the flash like this: Look on the back where you'll see a circle control button with "ISO" at the top. On the right of the circle, you should see a little lightning bolt arrow. While your camera is turned on, press the lightning bolt arrow until you see the same symbol on the screen on the left with a slash through it. That means your flash is turned off for that shot. Hope that helps!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I'm so glad you had a very Merry Christmas and some "peace on earth." I hope you both feel better soon!

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home