On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, November 30, 2007

Reading to Friends/Board Members

I've hardly recovered from last evening's reading at Rocky Mount's Franklin County Library. (I just wish I'd had Becky take my picture--I even remembered to bring Dick's digital camera--down at the front door where they had my name THIS BIG.)

Eleven Board Members/Friends of the Library met me at Angle's restaurant and treated me to a nice baked chicken dinner, then we all drove down to the library as they worried aloud that they'd only had three people at one of their annual meetings. Oh dear, time to worry!

But I need not have done so. The room had more filled seats than empty ones; there must have been 30+ folks there and I knew many of them: Becky Mushko, Peggy Draegert, Keith Ferrell, Bonnie Johnson, Marilyn Amerson looking good and carrying in a beautiful flower arrangement in a basket for me, from the Library Staff, and other familiar faces. Anita, from the Board, told me privately that she'd e-mailed me about a year ago with some writing questions, and had so appreciated my answers that she went on to have a lovely poem published in Blue Ridge Traditions. A pleasant surprise!

I spoke a bit about Becky pushing me to publish with Infinity Publishing, and then I read The Hunting Trip. I felt that would be most appropriate since it is hunting season. Good responses; lots of laughing. Then there were quite a few questions, which was nice.

There is nothing like being in a roomful of avid readers.

Then, another gift! The Board presented me with a painted wooden image of the library to put on my shelf here in my office. With two Christmas trees in the front windows, it is perfect.

Marilyn mentioned to the crowd that I'd recently written a humorous play, whereupon they wanted to know when it might be performed. I have the date, Sunday February 17th, and the location, Windtree Club House, at 5 pm. I'll have to check with the Playreaders group when we get closer to that date in case anything changes. SMAC always wants new members, and Playreaders was my introduction to SMAC.

Another participant last night was Wayne Skank, who took many pictures. He is a stringer for the Roanoke Times among other papers in the vicinity, so it'll be nice if something shows up.

I'd say that was my 15 minutes, all right. Oh, and I sold five copies of my book. Lovely!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

It sounds like you may be getting exactly what you deserve! What a wonderful evening you had! I wish I had been there - darn those kids and their basketball practices!

I will keep my eyes out for you in the Roanoke Times.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Congratulations, Marion! What a wonderful evening! I admire your courage in being able to read your writing to a group--I get nervous just reading mine to my husband.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

BRBC, it really helps to read your writing aloud, esp when it's intended to be humorous, as mine is. I read each essay to writing groups who are very encouraging. If they laugh, it stays in. If they do not identify with what I'm writing about, it's OUT.
It took me years to get comfortable reading to large groups of strangers...I attended Toastmasters' meetings, which were all male at that time, and they were very sweet and helpful to me in getting over any stage fright. The more you read aloud, the easier it gets.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, Marion. I may get my nerve up and join a writer's group someday. That would be a start!

8:14 AM  
Blogger colleen said...

So glad to hear it went well! At our last Cafe reading we had between 30 and 40 attendees and I was thrilled. It's sometimes hard to get a crowd out especially when we do ours once a month. I love reading about other efforts to promote the spoken word.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

It was real nice, and I'm glad they asked you questions and you had the opportunity to share about writing. I always enjoy hearing how another writer does it!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You're right Marion. It helps tremendously to read your writing outloud. I've tried reading mine to the empty room instead of constantly holding my hubby hostage, but for some reason, it's not the same!

It doesn't surprise me that you had such a good turn-out--you are a lovely person and a talented writer.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home