On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, October 14, 2007

What gorgeous weather!

Can you believe (those of you in this area, snuggled up against the Blue Ridge Mountains) this weather that has finally changed from baking, broiling 90+ endless days, to crisp, cool mornings and breezy afternoons?

Fall has always been my favorite time of year, but the leaves are slow to change between the drought conditions and the extreme heat itself.

Predictions are interesting: one article tells us we have a cold winter ahead of us, the next says it will be very mild. Guess it's just wait and see.

Book events coming up: Avenel in Bedford, 10/18 at noon, reading & signing & Jim Morrison's short play...me, Becky Mushko, Jim, & poet Jean Brobeck. Same day, 6:30 pm at Rocky Mount's Franklin County Library, A Visual Essay by Fred First from Floyd. He'll have his new fall note cards (beautiful scenes) & sign copies of his Slow Road Home, the blog that became a book.

On Saturday, the 20th: 11-2 at the Westlake General Store, there'll be a gaggle of writers (a giggle?) signing their books...Mushko, Higgins, Morrison, as well as SML crime writer Sally Rosevere. Stop by, buy a book, have it personally signed, & stock up on some of the store's outstanding corn salsa at one and the same time.

Life is good~

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

This is a busy week! And October is already half over? Where did it go?

9:08 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Marion, fall is my favorite time of year, too, and it's finally come to the North Carolina Blue Ridge, as well. Here, our trees are still mostly green, but we have the pull-up-the-quilt nights and the skies are that wonderful shade of blue that only happens in autumn. I love it.
Thanks for the bird link. Unfortunately, since I have agonizingly slow dial-up internet, I'm not able to watch movie clips, but the website looked very interesting.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You're right about the predictions. I've also heard conflicting opinions. I'm hoping for the mild winter.

It is beautiful here no matter what time of year it is.

10:56 PM  
Blogger colleen said...

These are the kind of days I'd like to bottle. Pure medicine.

11:24 PM  
Blogger libraryblog said...

Thanks for mentioning Fred First's visit to the library--it promises to be a super event, and I understand that the lady introducing him is absolutley wonderful!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home