On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Hey, Charlie, this one's for you!

I found out last evening that I have another regular Blog reader who enjoys what I'm writing about...but hasn't commented, so I didn't know he was 'out there!'

Sixteen of us had a great time at Vieira's Restaurant last night, as the Amatuer Radio Club's FIST group was treated to a marvelous annual dinner. Hubby and I arrived early, giving me a chance to present Antonio Vieira with a signed copy of my book, When Men Move to the Basement. I mention him, and his restaurant, on page 57, so he asked me to sign that page, and in the front, and to be sure to date it...he was SO pleased!

I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek from an exuberant Antonio, who said he now has to figure out how to frame an entire book to hang on his wall!

Encouraged to order wine and appetizers before our chief, Stan, was to arrive, we set to. I began with an order of mozzarella oreganata, mozzarella cheese with fresh sliced tomato, olive oil and organo. Vieira's buttery rolls were served very warm in a basket. And of course I had a lovely glass of white zinfandel wine...their wine list is extensive and interesting. Next, as Stan and Carolyn arrived, we began ordering our dinners. Since it was a Tuesday evening, we were not rushed at all. We had an incredible waitress, who remembered everyone's drink choice and served us with absolutely no delay.

OK, I had Melinda's Delight...Melinda is Antonio's wife, and her "delight" is a delicate 6-oz lobster tail served in butter with three huge shrimp, with steamed veggies. A salad came first, served with their own avocado dressing.

Dessert? Well, of course we all had dessert! Mine was one of the house specialities...vanilla icecream with delicate crackling pastry, mounds of whipped cream and strawberries. Others had their marscapone cake with fruit baked into it, or a fluffy Key Lime pie with chocolate cookie crust, or cheese cake. They vary the dessert offerings, so you won't find them on their Web site.

Guess I slipped back into my restaurant review days a bit here, but we all had a marvelous time. Antonio is a great host, and I'd encourage anyone who has not visited Vieria's at their Smith Mountain Lake location to give them a try. Antonio is from Brazil, and offers Brazilian specialities on his menu, as well as beef and seafood and pasta.

Well, blog-readers, we'll be away for a few days so we can celebrate Hubby's birthday with his daughter & family (five children!) in Clarksville, TN. Back in a bit~

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

You are making me hungary! (gggggrrrowlllll... - that's my stomach)

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home