On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sarah's Key is reviewed in today's Roanoke Times

Excellent review of Sarah's Key in today's Roanoke Times. The reviewer said she cried, that she hadn't known about the rounding up of so many Jewish children in Paris. She said she intends to visit some of the sites mentioned in the book when next she goes to France.

Our book club will be reading it shortly. I read the library's copy, then bought my own copy as it is something I want to keep on my bookshelf.

I sent a link for the Times review to Tatiana de Rosnay. She is currently touring France with the book; her blog mentions Book Fairs where teenaged girls flock to meet writers, ask them questions, and, in Tatiana's case, many came back to buy a copy of her book. Apparently, teenagers ARE reading, thank heavens.

From the time I was old enough to have a library card, books have been a daily part of my life. Finding a book I am hardly able to put down is wonderful. These days, I often start a book, read 20 pages or so, then say to myself: Life is too short to read this stuff! Always before, I'd make myself finish a book I'd begun even if I found it dull or trite. No longer; now it must be truly engaging.

Am I finally growing up?

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I thought I was the only one who'd read part of a book and quit! I always tell myself I'll get back to it, and sometimes—a few years later—I do.

You're right. Life's too short to read crap.

From what I hear, growing up is over-rated, too.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Yansor said...

Marion , thank you so much for the link, but I can't open it ! I long to read the review and to send it to St Martin's Press ! is there anyway you can send it to me via email ? merci ! (my email is on my contact info on my blog)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

yansor, I sent it just now & hope it works this time.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home