On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, September 21, 2007

Mr. Clean has been shining up the camper

We got her all insured at an amazingly low cost & Hubby has been cleaning and polishing, removing tar streaks from the top where the former owners had secured a porch roof. When we went over to the bank to complete the paperwork, the loan officer said she'd gone to the Web site and realized what an incredible buy it was.

The insurance woman looked at the pictures and said: You paid WHAT? That's just incredible. (She then showed the pictures to the others in the office.)

We also found that there's no problem with the insurance coverage if we move the unit up to Maine to a trailer park to spend summers there; apparently, damage to campers usually occurs when they are being towed on a highway, not when they're firmly set into one spot.

My daughter is really tickled that we'll only be 10 miles away when we're up there.

Amy, as for traveling around, we've been there & done that. I'll have to blog about the time we rented a pop-up camper & took Dick's two kids down to Bar Harbor. Oh my, that was an experience! But now, we're more about visiting family. Our grown kids are all over the US: Montana, Tennessee, Alabama and Maine. Some can easily come visit us; for others, it is more difficult. This will at least give us two locations.

I'll get Dick to take some pictures of the interior; he'll begin cleaning that tomorrow while I'm off to Cottage Curios in Salem for a reading/signing. Becky tells me the owner, Peggy Shifflett, is expecting quite a crowd.

Oh, further note: I posted my throw-together fish chowder recipe a few Blogs ago. I bought some nice catfish today & wondered how that would work in a chowder, so I made one tonight & threw in some really tiny baby carrots & the kernals from an ear of corn leftover from last night. I think I mentioned that you simmer cut-up potatoes, plus the saute'd chopped onion and celery, in chicken broth to cover until softened...well, I added the carrots then. Since the fish was fairly thick, I put the chunks in when the potatoes were almost done, then added the fat-free LandOLakes half & half.

Dick had been cleaning the camper all day, so after he showered (& it was raining a nice soft rain here all afternoon...soup weather!) he ate 2 big bowls of chowder & asked if there'd be enough leftover for his lunch tomorrow. Perfect! And the catfish was luscious.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I can't wait to see a picture of it. Lot's of luck.

I bought the ingredients for your other soup but today I was thinking, with this heat, it's going to be a while before I make some soup! (That's fine with me--I'm a warm weather girl.)

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home