On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Thrilled about Barack Obama's win in Iowa!

So historic! I heard Roanoke was celebrating, and rightly so. I fully intend to leave politics out of this Blog, but am so impressed with Obama that I had to say SOMEthing. Like, it's about time.

I grew up during the lunch counter sit-ins, in Washington, DC and one time, at the age of 10 when we lived briefly in Columbia, SC, I frightened a poor elderly black woman when I tried to give her my seat on a bus. I was sitting near the front, and she of course KNEW she wasn't allowed to sit there. I was puzzled; my mother had taught me to give a seat to anyone old and frail. Her eyes opened wide, she was scared, as she backed away from me down towards the back of the bus. When I got home, I asked my Dad to explain to me what she was frightened about.

Now, finally, we are entering a day long overdue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home