On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Excited about tomorrow~

Tomorrow, Wednesday 9 January, our Franklin County Library book club, the Eclectic Readers, will gather at Ferrum College for a presentation by Dr. Marcia Horn regarding Sarah's Key, written by Tatiana de Rosnay, certainly the Book of the Year for me, one that has stayed with me as I read it once in complete shock--how had I not known about this?--and went on to read it a second time.

Dr. Horn is not only Ferrum's resident expert on the Holocaust, she actually has a connection with the Vel' d' Hiv' in Paris in 1942. She, too, was blown away by Tatiana's book and found it a very chilling and accurate account of the French participation...collaboration, actually...in rounding up thousands of Jewish citizens in Paris, taking them to the Vel' d' Hiv' and then putting them on the trains to Auschwitz. Dr. Horn interviewed Nathan Kranowski when she was in France; his parents were rounded up and then murdered at Auschwitz. Kranowski will be speaking at Ferrum on March 25th.

Sarah's Key is an historically accurate account of the events in Paris on that infamous day in 1942, and draws the reader in as the fictionalized Sarah, a 10-year-old child, is taken with her mother to the Vel' d' Hiv. Sarah, unaware of the significance of the roundup, believes she will soon return to their apartment so she locks her 4-year-old little brother into their "safe" hiding place, a cupboard, giving him a teddy bear and a book, telling him she will be back to let him out.

Another part of the book concerns an American journalist living in Paris who in 2002 is researching the events of that day in 1942 for an article she is writing. The book's point-of-view continually shifts from Sarah's account to the writer's discoveries; it is quite easy to follow as the type changes as one goes from 1942 to 2002 and back again.

Tatiana's book has been translated into 17 languages and is an international best seller. It has been suggested to be as significant an account of the Holocaust as Sophie's Choice or even The Diary of Anne Frank. Once I began reading it, I simply could not put it down; others tell me they have had the same experience.

Tomorrow, our book club will meet at Ferrum College here in Virginia at 12:30 pm to grab a sandwich at Subway and then move to a nearby room for Dr. Marcia Horn's presentation. If you live nearby and can join us, please do so as this promises to be a fascinating event.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I wish I could be there! Have fun and I look forward to hearing all about it!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I'm looking forward to this, too. Sarah's Key is a super book. I'm so glad you lent me your copy. It is a book you just can't put down—I read it in one evening.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home