On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sleep Terrors

They are called Sleep Terrors, as opposed to Nightmares. Dr. Oz did a segment on sleep disorders and I was only half listening, until I realized he was discussing a condition I suffer from.

My husband wakes me, telling me I am screaming and anyone within the same house (such as my daughter's house in Maine) or in another room at a hotel or motel when traveling, must think I am being attacked. I've asked him to gently cuddle me and just "talk me down" when this happens. 90% of the time I have absolutely no memory of a dream or a nightmare. He tells me I thrash and scream.

Occasionally I will recall that I had dreamed I was running downstairs. Sometimes the running downstairs finds me crashing onto the floor and ending up with some serious bruises. (Poor guy: some day someone will call 911 on their cell phone and there will be lots of explaining on my part!).

I decided to post this in case there are others out there suffering from the same terrors. Health sites on the Net pretty much assume this is a childhood condition; well, it would have to be a second or third childhood on my part to fit that description. I am curious about what could be done; it appears that nightmares need a therapist while Sleep Terrors can respond to medication. One major difference is that you have NO recollection of the screaming or thrashing around.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Oh my goodness. Well, at least you don't remember them Marion!

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home