On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Friday, May 08, 2009

The Irridescent Indigo Bunting

I've just spent over an hour stalking my bird feeder, trying to get a picture of the two male Indigo Buntings that usually visit this time of day. Someone must have tipped them off...

Today, during our Lake Writers meeting, Bruce read a poem about magical birds. I was certain he meant Indigo Buntings, with their gorgeous color change from black feathers to the brilliant Indigo color. When I mentioned that, neither Bruce nor others agreed with me!

So here goes: from the Audubon Society's Field Guide to North American Birds...

"Indigo Bunting, Passerina cyanea: Description: Sparrow-sized. Male in bright sunlight brilliant turquoise blue, otherwise looks black; wings and tail darker. Female drab brown, paler beneath."

Footnote on page: "Indigo Buntings have no blue pigment; they are actually black, but the diffraction of light through the structure of the feathers makes them appear blue. These attractive birds are also found in rural roadside thickets and along the right-of-way of railroads, where woodland meets open areas. (etc)"

I am blogging this to win an argument with a fellow who does not blog nor does he have anything to do with the (evil) internet. Oh well~ I WIN!

5 Comments:

Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

DARN!
Wish I had been there! I knew that about the indigo buntings because I have them, and had just looked them up and found that very fact!!Should have been there to back you!
Oh well, company leaves next week, and I should be able to resume life in writers world/bloggers world...had company since first part of April!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Congratulations on your win! (Ah, the power of Google!)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

Becky..I didn't use Google but looked it up in my actual copy of the Audubon Society's bird book.

This morning (Saturday)a male indigo bunting came to my birdfeeder but he perched briefly and left before I could get a picture.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

You'll have to take your Audubon Field Guide with you to your next Lake Writer's meeting, Marion, to show your friends how wrong they were! :-) I think they are the most beautiful birds---I managed to get some not-very-good shots of a couple last year when I was sitting quietly in our yard.

8:14 AM  
Blogger colleen said...

I did the same thing last year and never got a "winner." I call them "the bluebirds of happiness." They make me feel blessed.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home