On The Blackwater

Musing on retirement, writing, puppies, and whatever else strikes my fancy

My Photo
Name:

Spending my life in 20-year increments: DC, Calif, Maine, & now in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA, where my YoChon, Sadie Mae, has started to blog...

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Roman Holiday

I was in high school when Roman Holiday came out, starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Last night, it was on Turner Classic Movies channel, in black and white of course, and without commercial breaks.

I hadn't remembered that this was actually the first movie Hepburn made. Born in Holland, she wanted to become a ballerina but the Nazis starved Holland and Hepburn became too weak to continue dancing once the war ended. (She helped folks hide, carrying messages as did her mother, even as she suffered from malnutrition).

She had acted in one play, insisting she knew nothing about acting, before filming Roman Holiday. Yep, I teared up. Understandable while I was a teen to cry over a tale of unrequited love. Last night, tears came down again.

Someone must have known that it was Audrey Hepburn's birthday, because they have scheduled My Fair Lady as well. Of course, that one is in brilliant color, and I recall that they would not let her sing. Not too long ago, she was featured in a commercial as she danced in a black leotard...one of her sons had agreed to that, saying she had always been happiest when she could fulfill her dream of dancing.

Watch for Roman Holiday, but keep a hankie handy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home